|Place||Oceania: Australia, New South Wales, Sydney|
|Measurement||Sheet: 31.4 cm x 47.8 cm|
|Physical description||watercolour, pen and black ink, pencil on paper|
|Place made||Australia: New South Wales, Sydney|
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
HMS 'Vulcan' off Garden Island
British steam troopship HMS 'Vulcan' at anchor in Sydney Harbour. HMS Vulcan was an early iron steam frigate used as a British troopship between 1851 and 1860. In November 1852 'Vulcan' arrived in Sydney with a detachment of officers and men of the 40th Regiment of Foot (the 2nd Somersetshire Regiment). Earlier the 'Vulcan' had docked in Melbourne but had been detained in quarantine and was unable to land her passengers, despite having the necessary health certificates and their being no smallpox on board. This tour for the 40th Regiment was its second in Australia and the Regiment was the one that experienced more action in Australia than any other. In 1853 the Regiment was detailed to be mounted escorts to the gold shipments sent from the diggings to Melbourne. In December 1853 the Regiment took part in the battle at the Eureka Stockade at Ballarat, providing both storming parties and mounted troops. HMS 'Vulcan' was laid down in 1846 and completed by January 1849, with a displacement of 1747 tons. It was one of several steampowered frigates in service for the Royal Navy and was based in Portsmouth. In 1851 'Vulcan' was converted to be a troopship. Her first trip in this role took troops to South Africa. After its 1852 trip to Victoria and New South Wales, it returned to Portsmouth. From 1860 'Vulcan' continued as a troopship in the East Indies and China. 'Vulcan' was disposed of in 1867 after being again converted to a barque and renamed 'Jorawur'.